KTS refutes the report by The Star… through the Borneo Post, a newspaper belonging to the Borneo Post Sdn. Bhd, a subsidiary of KTS holdings.
Here are 2 media reports from the Borneo Post…
Longhouse chief refutes erroneous report
By Churchill Edward and Yunus Yussop
28 August 2008
BINTULU: Rumah Ado head, Ado Bilong, whose 65-door longhouse at Sungai Kakus in Tatau was gutted by fire on Aug 21, yesterday refuted reports by a national newspaper that a “timber giant” had only given them salt as relief aid.
Describing the report carried by the national paper as “invalid statement” of a certain local party, Ado said contrary to that report, the victims had in fact received both financial aid and assistance in kind.
“I am making this clarification because some party had made invalid statement as reported in the newspaper a few days ago,” Ado stressed in a signed statement in Bahasa Malaysia dated yesterday.
In the statement she said the victims had received cash amounting to RM102,500 from KTS Group of Companies on top of assistance like food, cooking oil, drinking water and other cooking necessities from Gabung Trading Sdn Bhd of Kakus, Tatau.
Ado said of the sum, RM5,000 was for her as the head of the longhouse while each of the affected families would get RM1,000 and food items worth RM500.
“With this, I would like to certify this letter is true,” Ado said in the statement she signed before her deputy Gabriel Jaya P Kanun.
A total of 710 people were made homeless when fire razed the Punan longhouse, believed to be more than 100 years old and about two hours’ drive from here.
The victims were unable to save anything in the 1.30pm blaze and loss to property was estimated at RM3.19 million, said National Punan Association (NPA) secretary Dennis Lakiah.
“This (estimated loss) is based on our longhouse committee’s calculation,” Dennis had said.
According to him, the victims are now temporarily putting up in makeshift shelters, relatives’ houses and at a nearby timber camp.
He said most of these affected residents were involved in birds’ nest business, fishing and farming while some worked at the nearby logging camp.
He added that more than 1,000 others were not affected because they lived in detached homes.
Report fabricated, says Tatau penghulu
By Yunus Yussop
30 August 2008
BINTULU: Penghulu Sanok Magai, who was reported in a national newspaper recently as having received only two packets of salt from a timber company as aid for the victims of Rumah Ado, whose 65-longhouse at Sungai Kakus in Tatau was gutted by fire on August 21, yesterday denied he had any knowledge of the matter.
“I hereby categorically deny having knowledge of any such incident of a timber giant giving only two packets of salt to the fire victims,” Sanok said in a signed statement dated yesterday.
In the statement, he said the allegations in the Star newspaper was false, alleging that he was asked to pose for the photo holding two packets of salt without being informed of the reason for doing so.
Sanok in the statement also said it was done with bad intentions.
“As far as I know, Gabung Trading Sdn Bhd which is part of the KTS Group has greatly assisted the villagers of longhouses especially building the road to the longhouses, preparing water reservoir, giving contributions for expenses every Gawai
and Christmas festivals,” Sanok said in the statement signed before Tatau District officer Jonathan Lugoh.
Sanok also said the company was the source of transportation for the longhouse villagers, and also provided plenty of job opportunities to them.
He stressed that Gabung and KTS assisted the victims immediately after the fire.
Gabung Trading Sdn Bhd, Kakus Camp manager Ling Uong Chong, KTS Trading Sdn Bhd Shipping and Logs Department Bintulu branch supervisor Soo Yii Chiong together with several reporters went to Tatau yesterday to meet Sanok to clarify the issue.
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment