What Rainforest?


2/3 of Bintulu 3 sent To Simpang Renggam under EO
March 19, 2009, 8:40 am
Filed under: Indigenous People, Land, Media Reports, Oil Palm

Two thirds of the Bintulu 3 arrested under the Emergency Ordinance has been sent to Simpang Renggam. This means that they will be further detained for 2 more years without trial.

We here at ‘What Rainforest’ would like to express our protest against all forms of detentions without trial which includes the Internal Security Act (ISA) and the Emergency Ordinance (EO). If a person is suspected of a crime, he/she should be brought before a court of law and be formally charged. Justice must be carried out and seen to be carried out at all times.

Below is an article from the Star.

Woman released after two-month detention under EO
by Stephen Then,
The Star Online, 19 March 2009

MIRI: A woman arrested with her husband and brother-in-law under the Emergency Ordinance for alleged armed robbery in Bintulu, northern Sarawak, has been freed after 60 days in detention.

Melati Bekeni, 28, walked free after the Sarawak police released her on Sunday. She will be reunited with her 18-month-old daughter Victoria, whom she was breastfeeding at the time of her arrest, and three-year-old son Vincent.

However, her husband Marai Senggok, also 28, and his brother Bunya, 21, were ordered to be detained at the Simpang Renggam detention centre in Johor.

Bunya, Marai and Melati were arrested in January and detained under the Ordinance after Bintulu police accused them of being involved in a series of robberies.

However, family members claimed the three were arrested because of their dispute with a development consortium over a plot of land the natives claim were an ancestral heritage.

The father of the brothers, tuai rumah (longhouse chief) Sengok Sabang, confirmed yesterday that Melati had been freed.

“She is living with relatives near Miri. My two sons have been flown to Johor. The police did not tell me why they were taken out of Sarawak,” he told The Star.

Sengok appealed to police and the Home Ministry to release his sons, saying they were breadwinners for the family.

Sahabat Alam Malaysia Sarawak field officer Jok Jau Evong said yesterday their lawyers in Kuala Lumpur had learnt that Bunya and Marai had been detained for two years under the Emergency Ordinance.

Suhakam’s commissioner for Sarawak Dr Mohd Hirman Ritom said the commission had tried its best but still failed to get the two released.


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: